Klaipėda Concert Hall, Main Auditorium
Giunter Percussion: Pavel Giunter, Guntars Freibergs, Sigitas Gailius, Andrius Rekašius, Tomas Kulikauskas
Klaipėda Chamber Orchestra
Artistic Director Mindaugas Bačkus
Soloists: Gleb Pyšniak (cello, Lithuania), Kyung-Jun Lee (cello, South Korea)
Conductor Martynas Staškus
Programme: Tan Dun, works for cello, percussion and chamber orchestra
It is very rare that we get the chance to hear the works of the world-famous American composer of Chinese origin and Oscar winner, Tan Dun, in Lithuania. And tonight, the festival presents even two! These are the Snow in June and the Crouching Tiger Concerto – one of the most spectacular compositions for cello and orchestra, based on the music of the well-known film Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon by Ang Lee, for which Tan Dun won an Oscar in 2000. The composer dedicated this concerto to his compatriot and cello celebrity Yo-Yo Ma.
Lithuanian and Korean cellists will perform solo parts in these works, together with the Klaipėda Chamber Orchestra and the Giunter Percussion group, conducted by Martynas Staškus.
Gleb Pyšniak has appeared at some of the world’s major concert halls, such as Vienna’s Musikverein, Amsterdam’s Concertgebouw, and Accademia Filarmonica Romana. He has performed solo with various Lithuanian and foreign orchestras, frequently receiving rave reviews saying, for example, that “there seems to be not a single emotion that couldn’t be conveyed by this fiery temperamental virtuoso, stunning the audience with his technical arsenal.”
Kyung Jun Lee, a young Korean talent currently studying in Berlin, is a laureate of the last International Klaipėda Cello Competition. He returns to Klaipėda this year not only as a member of the jury, but also with a load of Tan Dun’s impressive music.
INFORMATION FOR CONCERT GOERS
- We ask all visitors to stay at home, if you have fever (at least 37.3 C) or experienced symptoms that cannot be attributed to a pre-existing condition or injury (cough, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, shortness of breath or difficulty of breathing, fatigue, loss of taste or smell, muscle or body aches, etc.).
- As organisers we have the right to ask authorized professionals to photograph or film our events. Photographs and/or video recordings may be used in our printed publications and/or on our website, in social media, in other publicity materials, or in third-party media. Please be aware of such possibility while attending our events. If you do not wish to be photographed or filmed in the above manner (without the attribution of your identity), you have a right to request that your image be removed from the digital server and from any publicity material on the web by email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone +370 650 17988.
- 50% off for schoolchildren, students, senior citizens and people with disabilities (appropriate cards to be shown);
- Admission free for persons in wheelchairs (appropriate cards to be shown ) and 50% off for one accompanying person;
- 10% off for group bookings (20 and more tickets for one event);
- 100% off for schoolchildren and students of the Klaipėda art schools (appropriate ID cards to be shown), which include: Klaipėda Stasys Šimkus Conservatory, Klaipėda Juozas Karosas Music School, Klaipėda Eduardas Balsys Gymnasium of Arts, Klaipėda Jeronimas Kačinskas Music School, Klaipėda Faculty of the Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theatre, Klaipėda Adomas Brakas School of Art. A transaction fee of € 1.20 is applied when purchasing tickets via the BILIETAI ticketing system.